Summer is a time when food preparation should be simple and flexible.
This warm-weather, fruity dessert can be served at a picnic or at a fancy, sit-down dinner. With the season’s bounty of melons, berries and stone fruit, this can be ready in a jiffy!
Feel free to mix-and-match your favorite combination of summer fruit. Don’t want to spend time toasting nuts, that’s OK, too. Just chop – and -sprinkle, or skip using nuts altogether.
Watermelon and Peaches with Vanilla Yogurt Topping
A cool, refreshing summertime treat featuring fresh fruit and tangy yogurt.
- ½ cup pistachio nuts (toasted and coarsely chopped. Note: to be used as Garnish.)
- 2 peaches (ripe)
- 1 large lemon (juiced)
- 4 cups seedless watermelon (cubed)
For Yogurt Topping:
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (Note: If using vanilla-flavored yogurt, omit the vanilla extract.)
- In a non-stick skillet, over medium heat, add the pistachios. Stir until they are lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Remove the nuts from the pan to a heat-proof plate to cool. Coarsely chop nuts and set aside. This will be used as the garnish.
- Thinly slice the peaches without removing the skin. Discard the pit. Place peach slices in a large mixing bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Add the watermelon cubes to the bowl with the peaches and gently toss together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the honey, cinnamon, yogurt and vanilla.
- Evenly distribute the fruit mixture into individualserving bowls. Spoon some yogurt topping over each serving.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios. Serve immediately.
Photo credit: National Watermelon Promotion Board
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
(Visited 119 times, 1 visits today)