Similar to our typical Armenian eggplant spread recipes, this one comes from my dear friend, Gina Skillings, a true vegetarian. I hope you’ll enjoy this as much as I do. It’ll be a great addition to your lenten recipe collection!
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
½ tsp. salt
¾ tsp. lemon-pepper
½ tsp. dried basil
1½ tsp. dried oregano
1. Slice eggplant, sprinkle liberally with salt. Wrap in kitchen towel and let sit for half an hour. Rinse eggplant slices and pat dry.
2. Grill eggplant on an oiled stovetop grill pan (or outdoor grill) until golden on both sides. Cool slightly and chop coarsely.
3. Sautė onions and garlic in olive oil until onion is transparent.
4. Add tomato and eggplant to onion mixture. Cook until tomato and eggplant are very soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in spices.
5. Transfer to food processor and blend well. Adjust seasonings.
6. Serve with crackers, bread or vegetables dippers.
Shepherds of long ago created meals of wild greens and herbs as they sought nourishment…