Pasta e Fagioli
This hearty, tasty pasta- bean soup is made with a homemade vegetable broth created from vegetable peels and such. Add a little of this-and-that, and before you know it, the soup is ready!
Homemade Vegetable Broth Ingredients
- Use a variety of vegetable scraps from carrots, celery, onions, mushroom - or whatever vegetables you have on hand. (about 2 to 3 cups-worth)
Pasta e Fagioli Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup each diced onions, bell peppers, celery, carrots
- 6 cups homemade vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 15-oz. can Northern beans (undrained (Any type of white bean will work.))
- ¼ cup small pasta (such as orzo, Ditalini, elbows, small shell pasta)
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning blend (or use a combination of dried oregano, dried basil to equal 1 tsp.)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- grated Parmesan cheese (to sprinkle on top of each serving)
Place a variety of on-hand vegetable scraps in a large pot. Cover the scraps with 6+ cups of water; season with salt, pepper, bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for about an hour. Add more water, as necessary.
Strain solids from liquid; discard solids.
Allow broth to cool a bit. Cover container and refrigerate until ready to use.
To Make the Pasta e Fagioli
In a large pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add all of the diced vegetables and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes with its juice, and tomato paste. Stir to blend in the paste. Add seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium. Add pasta and stir. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring now and then, making sure pasta doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
When the pasta is tender, add undrained beans. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
Serve with a sprinkling of shredded Parmesan cheese.