A sweet, fruity, nutty delicacy to be savored with loved ones during the holiday season!
- 1 cup gorgod (skinless whole wheat)
- 3½ quarts water
- 1 cup California apricots ( finely chopped)
- 1 cup raisins (currants or yellow)
- ½ cup pistachios
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup hazelnuts (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup almonds (slivered )
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts (toasted)
- Ground cinnamon (to taste)
- Pomegranate seeds
Preparing the Pudding
Remove cover. Return to simmer. Simmer gorgod (wheat) until water begins to thicken. The lower the simmer, the “whiter” the pudding will remain. After about 1 ½ to 2 hours of simmering, add the sugar and continue to simmer. The pudding will begin to take on a thicker consistency.
While wheat is simmering, combine fruit, pistachios and pine nuts in a small saucepan with water. Bring to a gentle simmer and allow to cook for about 15 minutes. Thoroughly drain. Add to pudding when pudding is cooled so that fruit will not bleed color into pudding.
Pour into serving bowl. Garnish with hazelnuts, slivered almonds, pecans or walnuts and cinnamon.
Pomegranate seeds should either be incorporated into pudding uncooked or served separately as a garnish.